Diego Peña concentrates his practice in advising local and foreign clients in various matters, including energy and natural resources, infrastructure, public works concessions, highlighting the development of renewable energy projects and energy transition matters. In this regard, Diego has significant experience advising developers, operators and private investors, engineering and construction companies, and banks and financial and insurance institutions, in the different stages and aspects involved in energy and infrastructure projects developed in Chile and the rest of Latin America.
Diego is the LatAm Practice Group Co-Leader in Energy and Natural Resources.
- Partner, 2022 to date
- Associate, 2015 to date (DLA Piper Australia, Perth, 2019)
- Associate, Barros & Errázuriz Abogados, 2012 - 2015
- Associate, Alcaíno, Rodríguez & Sahli Abogados, 2009 - 2011
- Blue Elephant Energy GmbH: Advised Blue Elephant Energy GmbH, a private fund engaged in energy transition investments, directly and through a joint venture entity with Chilean developer oEnergy Capital, in the acquisition of portfolio of 120 MW consisting of 20 photovoltaic PMGD and PMG projects, most of them operating and the remaining ones close to operation, located in the regions of Coquimbo, Valparaíso, Metropolitana, O'Higgins, Maule and Ñuble.
- CarbonFree Technology Inc: The Firm has been actively advising the client during all stages of development of photovoltaic power plants, from the due diligence processes in a greenfield stage until the acquisition, execution of the EPC and O&M agreement, and the operation stage of the power plants. We have performed due diligence in over 60 projects, and we have counselled the client in the acquisition of mora than 40 power photovoltaic plants in the last years, many of them are now operating.
- CarbonFree Technology: Advised in the acquistion of Cobeña Energia SpA, PSF Paine SpA and PSF Puangue SpA, special purpose vehicles for the development of the "Batres" (PMGD de 6MW), "Paine" (PMGD de 4MW) and "Puangue" (PMGD de 6MW), respectively.
- SUSI Partners A.G.: We advised the client, a Swiss energy transition fund that conducts sustainable energy infrastructure investments, in the execution of a Framework Agreement with Biwo Renovables S.A. for the purchase, development, construction, operation and maintenance of a portfolio of power plants, including PV solar and wind power plants, for approximately 243.6 MW in total capacity.
- CarbonFree Technology: Advised in the acquistion of Nihue Solar SpA, special purpose vehicle for the development of the "Nihue" photovoltaic project (PMGD of 3MW).
- CarbonFree Technology: Advised in the acquistion of Parsosy Helios SpA, special purpose vehicle for the development of the "Llay-Llay" photovoltaic project (PMGD of 3MW).
- CarbonFree Technology: Advised the client in the acquisition of El Naranjal SpA from Gestión de Capital Adelantado SpA, and the acquisition of Parque Solar El Paso SpA and Parque Solar Villa Alegre SpA from Solek Chile Holding SpA. All of them special purpose vehicles holders of PMGD photovoltaic power plants.
- CarbonFree Technology: Advised CarbonFree Chile SpA in the acquisition of GR Raulí SpA and GR Ulmo SpA, both of them special purpose vehicles for the development of photovoltaic power plants.
- CarbonFree Technology: Advised the client in the acquisition of Apolo del Norte SpA, Nuovosol SpA, Sinergia Solar SpA and Solar Brothers SpA, all of them special purpose vehicles for the development of photovoltaic power plants (PMGD of 9MW).
- BEE SUDAMERICA S.L.: Legal advise in the formalization of a joint venture between Blue Elephant and oEnergy, for the development, construction, financing, debt structuring, operation and maintenance of 12 photovoltaic plants totaling approximately 120 MWp.
- Solarcentury Chile SpA: Advise the client submitted an offer in the bidding process carried out by the Ministry of National Assets, to obtain a concession of public lands for the development of three solar energy projects.
- CarbonFree Chile SpA: Advise on the acquisition and development of a portfolio of photovoltaic projects in the distributed generation segment.
- American Tower Corporation: Advise to the client on the purchase of assets from Entel in Chile and Peru (US$ 772 million)
- The Coca Cola Company (USA - Chile) - Andina - Embonor: Advise on the purchase of 100% of Comercializadora Novaverde S.A.- "Guallarauco" (US$ 80 million).
- Solar Century: Advise on development of a portfolio of photovoltaic projects, including Doña Carmen Project (Photovoltaic Solar Plant) with Energía Cerro El Morado SA (US$ 40 million).
- Ecoser S.A.: Advise to the client's shareholders on the sale of 100% of the company's shares (US$23 million).
- Chile (2009)
- The Legal 500 (Corporate and M&A including compliance - Next Generation Lawyers 2018, Energy and Natural Resources: Electricity - Oil and Gas 2018 – 2019 – 2021 - 2023, Projects and Infrastructure 2018 – Rising Stars 2021 - Rising Stars 2022 – Next generation partner 2023, Corporate and M&A 2019 - 2021, Electricity and Hydrocarbon - Oil and Gas 2022)
- Best Lawyers® (Energy Law 2020 - 2021 – 2022 - 2023)
- Spanish and English
- Law, School of Law, Universidad de Chile, 2008
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), School of Law, Northwestern University, Chicago, 2012
- Certificate in Business Administration, IE Business School, Madrid, 2012
- Diploma in Future Electricity Markets and their Regulation, School of Engineering, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2021
- Professor, Energy Law and Project Development, School of Law of Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (2014 – present)
- Professor in Environment and Sustainable Development graduate program (Diploma), Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (2022 – present).
- Co-author "Los desafíos de la transición energética en el mercado chileno", Auscham, 2021
- Getting the Deal Through, Renewable Energy, 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Abogados sub 40 y tres mujeres marcan la más reciente promoción de socios de estudios legales (Diario Financiero - January 5, 2021)
- DLA Piper Chile announces new partner (Iberian Lawyer - January 4, 2021)
- DLA Piper adds new partner in Chile (Leaders League - December 28, 2021)
- Cambios de ejecutivos (El Mercurio - December 25, 2021)
- DLA Piper Chile incorpora a Diego Peña como socio (Revistaenergia.com - December 24, 2021)
- Asume nuevo socio en DLA Piper Chile (El Mercurio Legal - December 23, 2021)
- SUSI Partners invests in Chile renewables portfolio (Leaders League - November 3, 2021)
- SUSI Partners A.G.’s Execution of a Framework Agreement with Biwo Renovables S.A. (Global Legal Chronicle - November 2, 2021)
- Columna de opinión: Innovación y Eficiencia Energética (Latercera.com - 26 Marzo 2021)
- Solarcentury adquiere terrenos del Gobierno chileno para tres parques solares (Lex Latin - July 27, 2020)
- American Tower compra más de 3.200 antenas a Entel (Lex Latin – January 7, 2020)
- American Tower compra portafolio de antenas a Entel por US$ 772 Millones (Diario Financiero – December 20, 2019)
- Primera operación post 18-O: Entel vende antenas en Chile y Perú por US$772 millones (La Tercera – Pulso – December 20, 2019)
- Entel vende en US$ 772 millones gran parte de sus torres de antenas en Chile y Perú a American Tower (El Mercurio – December 20, 2019)
- Primera operación post 18-O: Entel vende antenas en Chile y Perú por US$772 millones (La Tercera Online – December 20, 2019)
- Grenergy refuerza estrategia de rotación de activos en Chile con la venta de 27 plantas solares (Lex Latin, September 10, 2019)
- Event: "Critical minerals and the clean energy transition: A global perspective", in Toronto, Canada, 2023.
- Webinar on Energy Regulation and Renewables in Chile, Australia, 2019