Diego Peña leads the Energy and Natural Resources practice and is a partner in the Regulated Markets practice. He is also a regional co-leader in DLA Piper's Energy and Natural Resources practice.
He concentrates his practice on advising local and foreign clients in various matters related to the Energy and Natural Resources area, providing advice on M&A processes and the development of different types of energy projects (natural gas, hydroelectric, wind, solar, and biomass power plants).
In the Projects and Infrastructure area, Diego has significant experience advising developers, operators, private investors, engineering and construction companies, banks, and financial and insurance institutions in the different stages and aspects of infrastructure projects developed in Chile and Latin America.
Diego also leads the area of Regulated Markets; his vast experience allows him to advise clients in sectors such as energy, telecommunications, and infrastructure in bidding processes, especially public and administrative procedures before different agencies, including applications for authorizations and sanctioning procedures, among others.
- Partner, 2022 to date
- Senior associate, 2015 -2021
- Foreign associate at DLA Piper Australia, Perth, 2019
- Associate, Barros & Errázuriz Abogados, 2012 - 2015
- Associate, Alcaíno, Rodríguez & Sahli Abogados, 2009 - 2011
- Blue Elephant Energy GmbH: Advised Blue Elephant Energy GmbH, a private fund engaged in energy transition investments, directly and through a joint venture entity with Chilean developer oEnergy Capital, in the acquisition of portfolio of 120 MW consisting of 20 photovoltaic PMGD and PMG projects, most of them operating and the remaining ones close to the operation, located in the regions of Coquimbo, Valparaíso, Metropolitana, O'Higgins, Maule, and Ñuble.
- Energy company: Advised on the corporate and financial structuring and execution of a joint venture agreement to develop upstream wind power generation and downstream green hydrogen and ammonia production. The project involves ancillary systems for water desalination, hydrogen storage, backup power, ammonia storage, and export facilities.
- CarbonFree Technology Inc: Advised the client during all stages of development of PV power plants, from due diligence processes at a greenfield stage to the acquisition, EPC, O&M contract execution, and operation stage of the power plants. We have performed due diligence on more than 60 projects, and we have advised the client in the acquisition of more than 40 PV power plants in the last years, many of them already in operation.
- SUSI Partners A.G.: We advised the client, a Swiss energy transition fund that conducts sustainable energy infrastructure investments, in the execution of a Framework Agreement with Biwo Renovables S.A. for the purchase, development, construction, operation, and maintenance of a portfolio of power plants, including PV solar and wind power plants, for approximately 243.6 MW in total capacity.
- BEE SUDAMERICA S.L.: Legal advice in the formalization of a joint venture between Blue Elephant and oEnergy for the development, construction, financing, debt structuring, operation, and maintenance of 12 photovoltaic plants totaling approximately 120 MWp.
- Solarcentury Chile SpA: Advised the client submitted an offer in the bidding process carried out by the Ministry of National Assets to obtain a concession of public lands for the development of three solar energy projects.
- American Tower Corporation: Advised the client on the purchase of assets from Entel in Chile and Peru (US$ 772 million)
- The Coca-Cola Company (USA - Chile) - Andina - Embonor: Advised the client on the purchase of 100% of Comercializadora Novaverde S.A.- "Guallarauco" (US$ 80 million).
- Solar Century: Advised on developing a portfolio of photovoltaic projects, including the Doña Carmen Project (Photovoltaic Solar Plant) with Energía Cerro El Morado SA (US$ 40 million).
- Ecoser S.A.: Advised the client's shareholders on selling 100% of the company's shares (US$23 million).
- Chile (2009)
- The Legal 500 (Corporate and M&A including compliance - Next Generation Lawyers 2018, Energy and Natural Resources: Electricity - Oil and Gas 2018 – 2019 – 2021 - 2023, Projects and Infrastructure 2018 – Rising Stars 2021 - Rising Stars 2022 – Next Generation Partner 2023 - 2024, Corporate and M&A 2019 - 2021, Electricity and Hydrocarbon - Oil and Gas 2022 - 2023 - 2024)
- Best Lawyers® (Energy Law 2020 - 2021 – 2022 - 2023)
- Spanish and English
- Law, School of Law, Universidad de Chile, 2008
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), School of Law, Northwestern University, Chicago, 2012
- Certificate in Business Administration, IE Business School, Madrid, 2012
- Diploma in Future Electricity Markets and their Regulation, School of Engineering, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2021
- Professor, Energy Law and Project Development, School of Law of Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (2014 – present)
- Professor in Environment and Sustainable Development graduate program (Diploma), Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (2022 – present).
- Co-author "Los desafíos de la transición energética en el mercado chileno", Auscham, 2021
- Co-author "Getting the Deal Through, Renewable Energy", 2017, 2018, and 2019
- Abogados sub 40 y tres mujeres marcan la más reciente promoción de socios de estudios legales (Diario Financiero - January 5, 2021)
- DLA Piper Chile announces new partner (Iberian Lawyer - January 4, 2021)
- DLA Piper adds new partner in Chile (Leaders League - December 28, 2021)
- Cambios de ejecutivos (El Mercurio - December 25, 2021)
- DLA Piper Chile incorpora a Diego Peña como socio (Revistaenergia.com - December 24, 2021)
- Asume nuevo socio en DLA Piper Chile (El Mercurio Legal - December 23, 2021)
- SUSI Partners invests in Chile renewables portfolio (Leaders League - November 3, 2021)
- SUSI Partners A.G.’s Execution of a Framework Agreement with Biwo Renovables S.A. (Global Legal Chronicle - November 2, 2021)
- Columna de opinión: Innovación y Eficiencia Energética (Latercera.com - 26 Marzo 2021)
- Solarcentury adquiere terrenos del Gobierno chileno para tres parques solares (Lex Latin - July 27, 2020)
- American Tower compra más de 3.200 antenas a Entel (Lex Latin – January 7, 2020)
- American Tower compra portafolio de antenas a Entel por US$ 772 Millones (Diario Financiero – December 20, 2019)
- Primera operación post 18-O: Entel vende antenas en Chile y Perú por US$772 millones (La Tercera – Pulso – December 20, 2019)
- Entel vende en US$ 772 millones gran parte de sus torres de antenas en Chile y Perú a American Tower (El Mercurio – December 20, 2019)
- Primera operación post 18-O: Entel vende antenas en Chile y Perú por US$772 millones (La Tercera Online – December 20, 2019)
- Grenergy refuerza estrategia de rotación de activos en Chile con la venta de 27 plantas solares (Lex Latin, September 10, 2019)
- Event: Critical minerals and the clean energy transition: A global perspective", in Toronto, Canada, 2023
- Webinar on "Energy Regulation and Renewables in Chile," Australia, 2019