Germán Vargas is part of the tax team of DLA Piper Chile. His professional practice is focused on providing tax advice to individuals and companies in different aspects related to national and international taxation matters. He has extensive experience in the analysis, interpretation and application of tax legislation.
He has advised and represented national and foreign companies in tax planning, M&A operations, international taxation and auditing processes in their administrative and judicial stages.
- Associate, 2018 to date
- Associate, CMS Carey & Allende Abogados (Santiago), 2015-2018
- Attorney-at-law in the Office of the Director and the Directorate of Large Taxpayers of the Internal Revenue Service, 2008-2015
- Talana: We advised the client, a Chilean start-up that developed an HR software, on the sale of the majority ownership to Endurance Investments, who bought through a public investment fund created specifically for this investment.
- Uber – Cornershop: Advised both clients as joint counsel in the US$3,000 million agreement to acquire fully ownership of Cornershop, by means of the acquisition of the remaining 47% not owned by Uber. This deal is the second step of the previous acquisition of a controlling interest in Cornershop by Uber in 2019 and 2020.
- Fracttal: We advised our client Fracttal SpA in raising a US$ 5.3 million investment round. The process was led by the Spanish fund Seaya Ventures and counted with the participation of the fund GoHub, which is part of the Spanish group Global Omnium.
- BEE SUDAMERICA S.L.: We advised the client on the relevant tax effects and how to implement its entry into companies that will develop energy projects in Chile.
- Oaktree Capital Management: Advise the company in tax matters arising from the DIP financing of LATAM Airlines Group in connection with the procedure under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code – Awarded “Deal of the Year 2021” in the category “Banking and Finance” by Latin Lawyer.
- Multiple Chilean [start-ups] entrepreneurs: Taylor-made reorganization to create an international structure suitable for foreign capital investments and the expansion of their business in both local and foreign jurisdictions.
- Colektia: Advised the client in the closing of a Series A Preferred Stock financing round, for a value of USD $4,200,000.
- Uber Chile SpA.: Advise the client since its arrival in Chile on tax planning and advise for the development of its operations in Chile.
- Cornershop and Uber: Legal tax advise, as joint counsel for Uber and Cornershop, regarding the acquisition of majority ownership of Cornershop by Uber – Awarded “Deal of the Year 2021” in the category “private M&A” by Latin Lawyer.
- Construction company: Representation and advice in auditing processes before the Internal Revenue Service (SII).
- Family groups: Advise on tax planning of their estates.
- Multiple clients: Tax advise on aspect related to taxation on digital services.
- Red de Alimentos: Advise on tax aspects related to its operations.
- Chile (2004)
- Legal 500 (Tax 2021)
- Spanish and English
- Law, School of Law, Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, Viña del Mar, 2004
- Master in Taxation, School of Law, Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, 2011
- Master of Laws, LL.M, School of Law, University of Virginia, 2013
- Professor of Tax Law, School of Law, Universidad del Desarrollo, 2015 to date.
- Chilean Bar Association
- Cornershop concreta alianza con Uber (Lex Latin – August 18, 2021)
- Endurance Investments buys stake in Chilean software startup Talana (Leaders League – July 28, 2021)
- Uber acquires remaining stake in Cornershop (Leaders League – July 2, 2021)
- Uber`s Acquisition of Remaining 47% Interest in Cornershop (Global Legal – June 25, 2021)
- Latam Airlines consigue crédito DIP para enfrentar la crisis (Lex Latin – October 30, 2020)