Macarena Alliende concentrates her practice in the Antitrust & Competition law. In that context, she advises clients from various industries, including technology and media, consumer products, retail and pharmacies. Macarena has an extensive practice, including the design and implementation of competition compliance programs, internal and external investigations, and litigation and merger control procedures, both before the National Economic Prosecutor’s Office (FNE) and before the Tribunal for the Defense of Competition (TDLC).
Macarena regularly advises clients on competition matters in day-to-day business, mainly related to potential abuses of dominant position in commercial practices and policies, such as: collaboration between competitors, exclusivity agreements, use of competitor information, among other matters related to the area.
- Associate, 2019 to date
- Uber: Defense of Uber Chile SpA and Uber International Holding B.V. before the TDLC in a lawsuit filed by a union of taxi drivers against the clients and other ridesharing app firms.
- American Tower Corporation: Advise client on the purchased of 30,722 telecommunication towers from Telefónica Group in Europe (Germany and Spain) and Latin America (Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Peru).
- Uber – Cornershop: Advise both clients and participated as joint counsel on the acquisition of a majority stake in Cornershop by Uber Technologies, Inc., for a value of USD $456 million – Awarded “Deal of the Year 2021” in the category “private M&A” by Latin Lawyer.
- Chile (2020)
- Spanish and English
- Law, School of Law, Universidad de Chile, 2017
- Fellow of the international program “Hoover IP2 Summer Teaching Institute on the Economics and Politics of Regulation”, Stanford University, 2017
- Research Assistant to the Center for Regulation and Competition (RegCom), School of Law, Universidad de Chile, 2017
- Economic Law teaching assistant, School of Law, Universidad de Chile, 2016-2017
- Administrative Law teaching assistant, School of Law, Universidad de Chile, 2015-2017
- Introduction to Law I and II teaching assistant, School of Law, Universidad de Chile, 2014-2017
- Article DLA Piper Law Blog: Merger control: distressed M&A in the time of Covid-19
- FNE fija criterios para analizar operaciones de concentración de mercados digitales (El Diario Financiero – May 13, 2021)
- TDLC rechaza demanda de taxistas contra Uber, Easy Taxi y Cabify por conductas abusivas (El Diario Financiero – March 17, 2021)
- Co-author “Adquisiciones de Facebook y certeza jurídica: reflexiones para Chile”, Centro Competencia Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, February 17, 2021
- American Tower adquiere filiales de Telxius de Telefónica (Lex Latin – January 25, 2021)
- Venta de Cornershop a Uber sortea la valla de la FNE y solo resta la aprobación de México (Pulso – May 30, 2020)
- El equipo especialista en capital de riesgo detrás de la operación en Chile (Diario Financiero – October 14, 2019)