Rodrigo Álvarez focuses his practice in Tax and Real Estate matters, but also he has participated in numerous M&A transactions of national companies. In Tax, his practice includes advising Chilean and foreign clients, both inbound and outbound, having participated in structuring businesses and companies in Chile, as well as in tax non-compliance and conflicts with the tax authority.
In Real Estate, he has participated advising more than 100 real estate projects developed in Chile, both commercial, housing and industrial, participating from its initial structuring to its sale or final lease. Likewise, he has advised and counselled several of the main real estate and construction companies in Chile.
- Partner, 2000 to date
- Partner at Álvarez y Cia., 1994 – 2000
- Talana: We advised the client, a chilean start-up that developed an HR software, on the sale of the majority ownership to Endurance Investments, who bought through a public investment fund created specifically for this investment.Uber – Cornershop: Advised both clients as joint counsel in the US$3,000 million agreement to acquire fully ownership of Cornershop, by means of the acquisition of the remaining 47% not owned by Uber. This deal is the second step of the previous acquisition of a controlling interest in Cornershop by Uber in 2019 and 2020.
- Fracttal: We advised our client Fracttal SpA in raising a US$ 5.3 million investment round. The process was led by the Spanish fund Seaya Ventures and counted with the participation of the fund GoHub, which is part of the Spanish gruop Global Omnium.
- Oaktree Capital Management: Advise the company in tax matters arising from the DIP financing of LATAM Airlines Group in connection with the procedure under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code – Awarded “Deal of the Year 2021” in the category “Banking and Finance” by Latin Lawyer.
- Janssen: Advise the client, who carried out a capital increase to acquire 60% of the ownership interest in Kreis SpA. and therefore, control of the company.
- Multiple Chilean [start-ups] entrepreneurs: Taylor-made reorganization to create an international structure suitable for foreign capital investments and the expansion of their business in both local and foreign jurisdictions.
- Colektia: Advised the client in the closing of a Series A Preferred Stock financing round, for a value of USD $4,200,000.
- Uber Chile SpA.: Advise the client since its arrival in Chile on tax planning and advise for the development of its operations in Chile.
- Cornershop and Uber: Legal tax advise, as joint counsel for Uber and Cornershop, regarding the acquisition of majority ownership of Cornershop by Uber – Awarded “Deal of the Year 2021” in the category “private M&A” by Latin Lawyer.
- Cornershop: Legal advise on tax matters for the possible sale of the company to Walmart.
- Construction company: Representation and advice in auditing processes before the Internal Revenue Service (SII).
- Uber: Defense of Uber in relation to multiple audits from the tax authority.
- Hortifrut: Tax advise on US tax issues affecting the Chilean company Hortifrut and their individual shareholders.
- Insurers Association of Chile AG: Advise the client on new legislation regarding CRS proposed to Congress.
- Telecommunications Company: Advise on tax matters in international reorganization. Advise and representation in tax audits before the Internal Revenue Service.
- Family groups: Advise on tax planning of their estates.
- Multiple clients: Tax advise on aspect related to taxation on digital services.
- Chile (1994)
- The Legal 500 (Tax 2018 – 2019 -2021, Real Estate 2018 – 2019 – 2021, Projects and Infraestructure 2019 – 2021)
- Best Lawyer (Lawyer of the Year 2019, Insolvency and Reorganization Law 2019 – 2020 – 2021, Project Finance and Development Practice 2020 – 2021, Real Estate Law 2020 – 2021)
- Latin Lawyer 250 (Tax 2019 – 2020)
- Leaders League (Corporate Tax – Recommended 2020 – 2021, Real Estate – Highly recommended – 2021, Innovation, Technology and Telecoms: Telecommunications law – Highly Recommended 2021, Intellectual Property: Technology – Highly Recommended 2021)
- Spanish and English
- Law, School of Law, Universidad de Chile, 1993
- Tax Management Program, School of Law, Universidad Adolfo Ibañez, 2006
- LL.M Tax, School of Law, Universidad Adolfo Ibañez, 2007
- Chilean Bar Association
- Uber acquires remaining stake in Cornershop (Leaders League – July 2, 2021)
- Uber`s Acquisition of Remaining 47% Interest in Cornershop (Global Legal – June 25, 2021)
- Latam Airlines consigue crédito DIP para enfrentar la crisis (Lex Latin – October 30, 2020)
- Giddings Fruit obtiene recursos para financiar compra de activos (Lex Latin – March 9, 2020)