Rodrigo Álvarez is a founding partner of DLA Piper Chile and co-heads the Tax practice. He has more than 20 years of experience, advising Chilean and foreign clients on a wide range of tax matters, both inbound and outbound, having participated in the structuring of businesses and companies in Chile, as well as in tax compliance issues and conflicts with the tax authority.
Rodrigo also has extensive experience in real estate and construction matters. He has advised more than 100 commercial, housing and industrial projects developed in Chile.
His experience covers all stages of development of real estate and infrastructure projects and also natural resources projects including, among others, title studies and regularization of titles, structuring, permits and compliance with urban planning regulations, bidding, financing and negotiation with financial institutions, land purchase, urban planning, long term leases, leasing contracts, negotiation of construction contracts (EPC and BOT) and commercialization of the projects. In this context, Alvarez has advised and advises several of Chile's leading real estate and construction companies.
In addition, Rodrigo has extensive experience in corporate matters, which includes advising on due diligence, mergers and acquisitions, creation of consortiums, and also, in matters necessary for the development of the clients' day-to-day business.
His broad experience includes advising in various industries and sectors, such as real estate, financial services, technology, mining, family offices and production companies, among others.
- Partner, 2000 to date
- Partner at Álvarez y Cia., 1994 – 2000
- Janssen S.A.: Advised the client in the process of acquisition of 40% of the shares issued by Kreis SpA, consolidating 100% ownership of the company dedicated to intralogistics solutions with operations in Santiago.
- Talana: We advised the client, a Chilean start-up that developed an HR software, on the sale of the majority ownership to Endurance Investments, who bought through a public investment fund created specifically for this investment.
- Uber - Cornershop: Advise both clients, as joint counsel, in the acquisition of a majority stake in Cornershop by Uber Technologies, Inc. This deal was awarded as Deal of the Year in Private M&A by Latin Lawyer 2021.
- Uber - Cornershop: Advised both clients as joint counsel in the US$3,000 million agreement to acquire fully ownership of Cornershop, by means of the acquisition of the remaining 47% not owned by Uber. This deal is the second step of the previous acquisition of a controlling interest in Cornershop by Uber in 2019 and 2020.
- Fracttal: We advised our client Fracttal SpA in raising a US$ 5.3 million investment round. The process was led by the Spanish fund Seaya Ventures and counted with the participation of the fund GoHub, which is part of the Spanish group Global Omnium.
- Oaktree Capital Management: Advise the company in tax matters arising from the DIP financing of LATAM Airlines Group in connection with the procedure under Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code - Awarded “Deal of the Year 2021” in the category “Banking and Finance” by Latin Lawyer.
- Janssen: Advise the client, who carried out a capital increase to acquire 60% of the ownership interest in Kreis SpA. and therefore, control of the company.
- Multiple Chilean [start-ups] entrepreneurs: Taylor-made reorganization to create an international structure suitable for foreign capital investments and the expansion of their business in both local and foreign jurisdictions.
- Colektia: Advised the client in the closing of a Series A Preferred Stock financing round, for a value of USD $4,200,000.
- Uber Chile SpA.: Advise the client since its arrival in Chile on tax planning and advise for the development of its operations in Chile.
- Cornershop and Uber: Legal tax advise, as joint counsel for Uber and Cornershop, regarding the acquisition of majority ownership of Cornershop by Uber – Awarded “Deal of the Year 2021” in the category “private M&A” by Latin Lawyer.
- Cornershop: Legal advise on tax matters for the possible sale of the company to Walmart.
- Construction company: Representation and advice in auditing processes before the Internal Revenue Service (SII).
- Uber: Defense of Uber in relation to multiple audits from the tax authority.
- Hortifrut: Tax advise on US tax issues affecting the Chilean company Hortifrut and their individual shareholders.
- Insurers Association of Chile AG: Advise the client on new legislation regarding CRS proposed to Congress.
- Telecommunications Company: Advise on tax matters in international reorganization. Advise and representation in tax audits before the Internal Revenue Service.
- Family groups: Advise on tax planning of their estates.
- Multiple clients: Tax advise on aspect related to taxation on digital services.
- Chile (1994)
- Chambers - Global (Tax 2022)
- Chambers – Latam (Tax 2022)
- Best Lawyers® (Lawyer of the Year 2019, Insolvency and Reorganization Law 2019 – 2020 - 2021 – 2022 - 2023, Project Finance and Development Practice 2020 - 2021 – 2022 - 2023, Real Estate Law 2020 - 2021 – 2022 - 2023)
- Latin Lawyer 250 (Tax 2019 – 2020 - Highly Recommended 2021 - 2022)
- The Legal 500 (Tax 2018 - 2019 - 2021 – 2022 - 2023, Real Estate 2018 - 2019 - 2021 – 2022 - 2023, Projects and Infrastructure 2019 - 2021 – 2022 - 2023)
- Leaders League (Corporate Tax - Recommended 2020 - 2021 – 2022 - 2023; Real Estate - Highly recommended - 2021 – 2022 - 2023; Innovation, Technology and Telecoms: Telecommunications law – Highly Recommended 2021; Intellectual Property: Technology – Highly Recommended 2021)
- Spanish and English
- Law, School of Law, Universidad de Chile, 1993
- Tax Management Program, School of Law, Universidad Adolfo Ibañez, 2006
- LL.M Tax, School of Law, Universidad Adolfo Ibañez, 2007
- Chilean Bar Association
- Cornershop concreta alianza con Uber (Lex Latin - August 18, 2021)
- Endurance Investments buys stake in Chilean software startup Talana (Leaders League - July 28, 2021)
- Uber acquires remaining stake in Cornershop (Leaders League - July 2, 2021)
- Uber`s Acquisition of Remaining 47% Interest in Cornershop (Global Legal - June 25, 2021)
- Latam Airlines consigue crédito DIP para enfrentar la crisis (Lex Latin - October 30, 2020)
- Giddings Fruit obtiene recursos para financiar compra de activos (Lex Latin – March 9, 2020)