Sofía O´Ryan concentrates her professional practice in competition law. In this context, she advises on matters related to merger control procedures, unilateral conducts and cartels, both in investigations before the National Economic Prosecutor’s Office (FNE) and in proceedings before the Tribunal for the Defense of Competition.
Sofía advices on and assists in the design and implementation of commercial policies consistent with the strategic objectives of each client and current regulations, as well as in the development of compliance programs and internal investigations for the timely prevention and detection of potentially risky behaviors, assisting clients in the definition of the most appropriate solutions.
- Counsel, 2020 to date
- Coordinator of the Antitrust Division, National Economic Prosecutor’s Office, 2020
- Coordinator of the Merger Division, National Economic Prosecutor’s Office, 2018-2020
- Intern at the European Commission, Directorate General for Competition, Belgium, 2017
- Lawyer of the Merger Division, National Economic Prosecutor’s Office, 2013-2016
- Inversiones Santa María: Advised the client in the sale of its participation in the information security company Neosecure, with presence in Chile, Peru, Argentina, Spain, Colombia and Brazil, to the Brazilian fund Patria. We also advised the client on the termination of the shareholders’ agreement and future obligations with The Rohatyn Group, which also sold its participation in Neosecure.
- Uber: Defense of Uber Chile SpA and Uber International Holding B.V. before the TDLC in a lawsuit filed by a union of taxi drivers against the clients and other ridesharing app firms.
- American Tower Corporation: Advise client on the purchased of 30,722 telecommunication towers from Telefónica Group in Europe (Germany and Spain) and Latin America (Brazil, Chile, Argentina and Peru).
- Chile (2014)
- Leaders League (Competition Antitrust & Investigations – Recommended – 2021)
- Spanish and English
- Law, Universidad de Chile, 2011
- Diploma in Regulation and Competition, Faculty of Economics and Business, Universidad de Chile, 2014-2015
- Master of Laws (LL.M), King’s College London, United Kingdom, 2016-2017
- Cabify y Uber vuelven a la carga: se defienden de las acusaciones de los taxistas en la Suprema (El Diario Financiero – September 13, 2021)
- Patria Investimentos’ Acquisition of NeoSecure (Global Legal Chronicle – August 20, 2021)
- Patria Investimentos incrementa su portafolio con chilena NeoSecure (Lex Latin – August 16, 2021)
- Columna de opinión: Licitaciones y libre competencia: ¿está funcionando el sistema actual? (La Tercera-Pulso – May 13, 2021)
- TDLC rechaza demanda de taxistas contra Uber, Easy Taxi y Cabify por conductas abusivas (El Diario Financiero – March 17, 2021)
- Co-author “Adquisiciones de Facebook y certeza jurídica: reflexiones para Chile”, Centro Competencia Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez, February 17, 2021
- American Tower adquiere filiales de Telxius de Telefónica (Lex Latin – January 25, 2021)
- Exabogada de la FNE arriba a DLA Piper Chile como consejera del área de Libre Competencia (Diario Financiero – October 20, 2020)
- DLA Piper Chile incorpora nueva counsel al área de libre competencia (Abogados.com.ar – October 19, 2020)
- Incorporación Sofía O´Ryan como counsel (El Mercurio – October 16, 2020)