Luis Parada focuses his practice in labour matters of the firm, advising local and foreign clients in matters, such as, the implementation of indemnity and income plans for senior executives, stock option plans, collective bargaining assistance, complex trials legal defenses, expatriation agreements and inmigration for executives, turnaround services, labor due diligence processes, manager training and human resources department, among other matters.
- Partner, 2012 to date
- Associate, 2002 – 2012
- The Professional Institute Foundation of the Chilean Occupational Safety Association, 2001- 2002
- Client in the field of sea ports: Advise the client with the retention of key executives and employees, during the closing operations process of the local company, which will take unless until 2021.
- Global Client: Advise the client in the execution in Latin America, of a global reduction in force (RIF) of its marketing department, which included Argentina, Chile, Brasil, Uruguay, Colombia, Perú, Panamá and Costa Rica.
- Client that produces industrial gases and medicinal oxygen: Advise the client in a relevant collective bargaining with its union.
- One of the most relevant clients in the clothes retail: Advise in a complex collective bargaining process, which due to its proximity to the holiday season, could have affected the end of the year’s sales, which is the most relevant sales time for that industry.
- Construction industry client: Advise the client in a series of complex labour lawsuits.
- One top notch start-up company: Advise the client with an extension of the collective bargaining agreement with the only existing union in the company, which was necessary for a major investment of a unicorn company”.
- Zurich: Advise on the purchase of life insurance portfolio of Euroamerica Seguros de Vida S.A. and 100% of the shares of the Euroamerica General Fund Manager S.A. (US$155 million). As part of this advisory, we advise the client in the successful transfer of all the employees of such entity.
- Groupon: Successfully assisting the company in the process of relocation of its customer service area for Latin America, from Chile to Colombia.
- Hotelera HA: Advise in all employment matters related to transfer of the operation of the Hotel Kennedy in Santiago, by means of a long-term lease agreement.
- Komatsu Cummins: Successful representation, in court, regarding allegations of anti-union practice, initiated by the Labour Directorate (Dirección del Trabajo), due to the suspension of excessive payments to union directors which this public organism considered illegal.
- Skout (MeetMe): Advise in the process first to create and then to cease its operations in Chile, as well as to terminate the employment agreements of all the local staff, to retain key employees and transform their contractual relationship to a service provider’s agreement.
- EDF Energies Nouvelles: Successfully defending the company in court in an alleged case of discrimination by a former manager.
- Capgemini Business Services Chile Ltda: Advise in the termination of its BPO services in Chile (which covered all of Latin America except Brazil), due to a change of the location of the services agreed with global clients.
- Uber: Achieved a victory in court regarding an allegation of employment relationship by an Uber driver. This is the only allegation of employment relationship in Chile so far
- L’Oréal: Regular advise to this client on the relationship with its unions.
- Fabrimetal: Obtained court confirmation of the legality of the dismissal of an employee who violated his non-competition obligation.
- Cornershop: Advise on an important collective negotiation with its union.
- Empresa Nacional del Petróleo: Representation in different labor lawsuits in Chile.
- Metro: Successful representation, to the main passenger transportation company, in labor lawsuits of complex nature and in labor accidents.
- Africa Dreams Fundation
- “El Comercio se Levanta” project together with Cámara Nacional de Comercio, 2020
- Chile (2001)
- Chambers – Latam (Labour and Employment 2019 – 2020 – 2021)
- Legal 500 (Labour and Employment 2018 – 2019)
- Best Lawyers (Labour and Employment Law 2019 – 2020, Employment Benefits Law 2019, Employee Benefits Law 2020)
- Whos Who legal (Global Leader – Labour and Employment 2019 – 2020, Recommended 2020)
- Latin Lawyer 250 (Labour 2019 – 2020)
- Leaders League (Labour / Employment – Recommended 2020)
- Latin Lawyer National (Labour 2019)
- Spanish and English
- Graduate in Law, School of Law, Universidad Central de Chile, 2000, receiving his Law Degree in 2001
- Master in Corporate Law, graduated summa cum laude, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2005
- Diploma in Labor Law, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2007
- Chilean Bar Association
- International Bar Association (IBA)
- Chilean Association of Labor Law
- Chilean Labor Law Center
- Human Resources Committee, National Chamber of Commerce, Services and Tourism (CNC)
- Human Resources Committee, North American Chilean Chamber of Commerce (AmCham)
- Human Resources Committee, Chilean Association of Metalworking and Metal Mechanical Industries (Asimet)
- Labor Commission, Chilean Building Chamber (CCHC)
- Legal Committee of the National Chamber of Commerce, Services and Tourism (CNC)
- Co-author “Stock Options in the Chilean Labor Law”, Engineers Magazine, UDD, 2007
- World Bank Collaborator in the Doing Business Project in relation to recruitment process, 2017-2018-2019
- “World Justice Project”, collaborator in the publishing of “The Rule of Law Index”, 2017-2018-2019
- Getting The Deal Through: Corporate Inmigration, 2018-2019-2020
- Permisos sin goce de sueldo y baja de salarios: las medidas en que piensan las empresas para afrontar la crisis (Diario Financiero – March 19, 2020)
- Preparación de empleadores ante la llegada del coronavirus (Estado Diario – March 5, 2020)
- Las preguntas laborales que dejó la llegada del coronavirus a Chile (Diario Financiero – March 4, 2020)
- Chambers and Partners 2020 (El Mercurio Legal – August 15, 2019)
- Automatización podría ser el gran tema de futuras negociaciones colectivas (El Mercurio – July 16, 2019)
- ¿Qué falta por mejorar en la Ley de Inclusión Laboral? (Pulso – March 27, 2019)