Rodrigo Álvarez focuses his practice in Tax and Real Estate matters, but also he has participated in numerous M&A transactions of national companies. In Tax, his practice includes advising Chilean and foreign clients, both inbound and outbound, having participated in structuring businesses and companies in Chile, as well as in tax non-compliance and conflicts with the tax authority.
In Real Estate, he has participated advising more than 100 real estate projects developed in Chile, both commercial, housing and industrial, participating from its initial structuring to its sale or final lease. Likewise, he has advised and counseled several of the main real estate and construction companies in Chile.
- Partner, 2000 to date
- Partner at Álvarez y Cia., 1994 – 2000
- Janssen S.A.: Advise the client, as a subscriber of a capital increase of shares of Kreis SpA, by which the client acquired 60% of participation in the property of Kreis, and therefore, holding control of the acquired company.
- Cornershop: Advise on tax matters for the possible sale of the company to Walmart.
- Uber Chile SpA: Advise Uber on his arrival in Chile in matters of tax planning and advise for the development of its operations in Chile. Our assistance included the drafting of legal reports for the evaluation of various business structures to help them comply with tax regulations, to manage the relationship with the competent tax authorities and to represent them in proceedings before the tax courts. Currently, there is a pending hearing before the Supreme Court regarding the disclosure of Uber’s bank account transactions.
- Chile (1994)
- The Legal 500 (Tax 2018 – 2019, Real Estate 2018 – 2019, Projects and Infraestructure 2019)
- Best Lawyer (Lawyer of the Year 2019, Insolvency and Reorganization Law 2019 – 2020, Project Finance and Development Practice 2020, Real Estate Law 2020)
- Latin Lawyer 250 (Tax 2019 – 2020)
- Leaders League (Corporate Tax 2020 – Recommended 2020)
- Spanish and English
- Law, School of Law, Universidad de Chile, 1993
- Tax Management Program, School of Law, Universidad Adolfo Ibañez, 2006
- LL.M Tax, School of Law, Universidad Adolfo Ibañez, 2007
- Chilean Bar Association
- Giddings Fruit obtiene recursos para financiar compra de activos (Lex Latin – March 9, 2020)