Jorge Timmermann focuses his practice advising both Chilean and foreign clients in mergers and acquisitions transactions, capital markets, venture capital, FinTech, corporate governance and projects development, among others.
His practice is focused on structuring M&A operations, drafting and negotiation of stock purchase agreements, shareholders agreements and other customary M&A documents, and also advising clients in the ex-ante merger control by the Fiscalía Nacional Económica.
He has participated in the issuance of bonds and commercial papers in the local market and in international markets, both registered and unregistered, mainly representing the issuers.
Timmermann is also active in the Venture Capital market, advising multiple venture capital firms and entrepreneurs in setting up and management of investment funds, startup vehicles and applying for State-driven funding opportunities.
Jorge's experience includes a wide range of industries, such as, energy, retail, technology and others.
Jorge serves as LatAm Practice Group Co-Leader in Emerging Growth and Venture Capital.
- Partner, 2021 to date
- Associate, 2014 to 2020
- Foreign Associate at DLA Piper LLP (US) - New York Office, 2017-2018
- Capital Markets Advisor of the Ministry of Finance, 2011 – 2013
- Associate, Carey y Cía., 2008 – 2011
- Colegium SpA: On March 1, 2022, Colegium SpA and Incremental SpA signed the contract for the sale of assets and accompanying documents, by which Colegium SpA acquired the main assets of Incremental SpA. With this, Colegium adds Radar Escolar platform to its services, strengthening even more its position as a provider of digital services to educational institutions.
- The Live Green Co.: We advised the company in the US$7,000,000 investment in their Pre-Series A round, a Chilean company dedicated to the development of clean and vegan food formulas.
- Uber - Cornershop: Advise both clients, as joint counsel, in the acquisition of a majority stake in Cornershop by Uber Technologies, Inc. This deal was awarded as Deal of the Year in Private M&A by Latin Lawyer 2021.
- Uber - Cornershop: Advised both clients as joint counsel in the US$3,000 million agreement to acquire fully ownership of Cornershop, by means of the acquisition of the remaining 47% not owned by Uber. This deal is the second step of the previous acquisition of a controlling interest in Cornershop by Uber in 2019 and 2020.
- CarbonFree Technology: Advised the client in the acquisition of Apolo del Norte SpA, Nuovosol SpA, Sinergia Solar SpA and Solar Brothers SpA, all of them special purpose vehicles for the development of photovoltaic power plants (PMGD of 9MW).
- Odd Industries: Advised the client (a technology startup) in the sale of a majority stake to Maderas Arauco S.A., one of the largest companies in Chile.
- Colbún: Advise on the acquisition of Efizity, an energy solutions company.
- Cornershop - Cencosud: Advise Cornershop on a long term Framework Agreement for Commercial with Cencosud, to offer its products in the countries where it operates.
- Arch Daily: Advise the client on the sale of its digital architecture platform "ArchDaily" with operations in Chile, Mexico, USA, Hong Kong and China to the Swiss company, Architonic AG.
- Giddings Fruit S.A.: Advised the client on a financing agreement under New York law ("NPA"), with the objective of financing the group's operations in Chile, Mexico, Peru, United States, England and China.
- Uber - Cornershop: Advise both clients and participated as joint counsel on the acquisition of a majority stake in Cornershop by Uber Technologies, Inc., for a value of USD $456 million - Awarded “Deal of the Year 2021” in the category “private M&A” by Latin Lawyer.
- Shareholders of Cornershop (Chile – México): Advise on the potential sale of Cornershop to Walmart.
- The Coca Cola Company – Andina – Embonor (USA – Chile): Advise on the purchase of 100% of Comercializadora Novaverde S.A.- “Guallarauco”.
- Grupo Castaño: Advise on the purchase of the Kingsbury and Pan Pierre business lines of BredenMaster S.A.
- Encourage Capital LLC: Advise on the acquisition of a stake in Geomar S.A., a Chilean seafood Company.
- Fintual: We advise the client, in several regulatory matters related with the operation and business development of its Administradora General de Fondos (Funds Administrator), which is regulated by the Financial Market Commission.
- Modyo: We advise the client in a corporate reorganization that will help them continue strengthen their position as a relevant SaaS for financial institutions. We have also advised them in relation with negotiation and drafting of relevant agreements with their clients.
- Chile (2009)
- Legal 500 (Corporate and M&A including compliance 2018, Corporate and M&A 2019 - Rising Stars 2021 - Next Generation Partner 2022 - 2023, Venture Capital 2021 - Next Generation Partner 2022 - 2023, Capital Markets 2021 – 2022 - 2023)
- Leaders League (Startups & innovations Leading 2023, Corporate M&A Highly recommended 2023, Fintech – excellent 2023)
- Best Lawyers® (Capital Markets 2020 - 2021 – 2022 - 2023)
- Leading Lawyers (sub 45, Investment Funds) 2023
- Spanish and English
- Law, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2008
- Master of Laws (LL.M.), School of Law, Columbia University, New York, 2014
- Teaching assistant of Mergers & Acquisitions and Corporate Governance, LL.M - Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile.
- What is a SPAC? The basics, when you are contemplating going public, October 2021
- Getting the Deal Through, Securities Finance, 2016 - 2017
- Principales estudios de abogados revelan aumento de demanda por Ley Fintech (Diario Financiero - May 4, 2023)
- Colegium se fortalece en Chile con la adquisición de Radar Escolar (LexLatin - April 28, 2022)
- Proyecto de Ley FinTech: una mirada optimista (El Mercurio Legal - September 27, 2021)
- Abogados analizan la Ley FinTech y plantean mejoras al proyecto para la discusión legislativa (Diario Financiero - September 10, 2021)
- Cornershop concreta alianza con Uber (Lex Latin - August 18, 2021)
- Uber acquires remaining stake in Cornershop (Leaders League - July 2, 2021)
- Uber`s Acquisition of Remaining 47% Interest in Cornershop (Global Legal - June 25, 2021)
- FinTech mexicana que compró un banco reabre debate sobre la regulación en Chile (Diario Financiero - June 17, 2021)
- Estas son las principales promociones de firmas legales en Chile para 2021 (Lex Latin - January 13, 2021)
- Cambios de Ejecutivos en DLA Piper Chile (El Mercurio – January 4, 2021)
- DLA Piper Chile incorpora a Jorge Timmermann como nuevo socio corporativo (El Mercurio Legal - December 29, 2020)
- Cornershop crea una alianza con Cencosud en Chile (Lex Latin - September 4, 2020)
- Venta de Cornershop a Uber sortea la valla de la FNE y solo resta la aprobación de México (Pulso – May 30, 2020)
- Architonic compra ArchDaily para crear la mayor plataforma de arquitectura en línea (Lex Latin – May 26, 2020)
- El comienzo de una nueva era entre ArchDaily y Architonic: sus protagonistas adelantan retos y planes de la fusión de ambas plataformas (El Mercurio – May 7, 2020)
- Giddings Fruit obtiene recursos para financiar compra de activos (Lex Latin – 9 March, 2020)
- Uber’s $450 Million Acquisition Of Cornershop (Latin Lawyer – October 31, 2019)
- La trastienda del acuerdo y los escenarios que enfrenta la compra de Cornershop a manos de Uber (El Mercurio – October 14, 2019)
- El equipo especialista en capital de riesgo detrás de la operación en Chile (Diario Financiero – October 14, 2019)
- Uber enciende el mercado del delivery con anuncio de ingreso a propiedad de Cornershop (La Tercera - Pulso – October 12, 2019)
- Eurofarma mejora su posición en el mercado farmacéutico chileno (Lex Latin – July 1, 2019)