Mauricio Halpern concentrated his practice in Corporate Law, with special emphasis in Financing, Capital Markets and Compliance matters, advising numerous companies, domestic and foreign, in credit transactions, corporate and project finance (e.g. energy and infrastructure) and structured products. Also, considering his vast experience as an in-house lawyer, Mauricio has led the Compliance area of the firm, supporting clients not only in the development and implementation of regulatory compliance models, according to Law 20.393 and its successors, but also in the preparation of policies, procedures, reporting channels, risk matrixes and control panels, providing them with the best practices and market standards.
It has stood out by leading the processes of first issue stock placement, public offering of shares, bond issue and trade bills. Other matters in which he has actively participated, have been in strategic advice to boards of directors and senior management of open and closed corporations, both local and foreign, in addition to collaborating in corporate restructuring processes, dispute resolution and complex negotiation between shareholders.
- Partner, 2020 to date
- Counsel, 2017-2019
- Corporate General Counsel at SMU S.A., Santiago, Chile, 2015-2017
- Executive Legal Manager of Pacific Hydro, Santiago, Chile, 2011-2015
- Senior Associate at Bahamondez, Alvarez & Zegers, Santiago, Chile, 2010-2011
- Foreign Law Clerk at Clifford Chance in Washington D.C., United States, 2009-2010
- Associate at major law chilean firm, 2003-2007
- Oaktree Capital Management L.P.: Advise the client, as a creditor of Tranche A, for US$1,300,000,000, for the DIP (“Debtor-in-Possession”) Financing Contract in Latin America.
- CarbonFree Chile SpA: Finance the acquisition and/or development, construction, commissioning, testing, start-up, operation and maintenance of a portfolio of projects consisting of several photovoltaic solar energy projects with an aggregate capacity, once fully constructed and operational, of approximately 225 MW located in Chile.
- Itaú Corpbanca, Banco de Crédito del Perú S.A.S y Banco BICE: Advise the clients, as lenders for the loan facility granted to three Atlantica Yield´s entities (Transmisora Baquedano S.A., Transmisora Mejillones S.A. and Palmucho S.A.) for the refinancing of two of the borrower´s debt governed under the laws of New York, for new investments necessary for the proper functioning of the recently acquired electric transmission line located at Vicuña, Chile and other corporate purposes.
- Colegios Federico Froebel S.A.: Counsel to the client as borrower for a loan facility granted by Banco Security for new infrastructure investments of the Las Condes and Chicureo educational establishments of the Deutsche Schule and for the pre-payment and termination of a precedent real estate leasing with Banco de Chile.
- Mirae Asset Daewoo Co.: Advise the Korean bank, lender, and principal agent in charge of the term loan granted to DE Energía SpA for the development, construction, financing, operation and management of 12 photovoltaic power plants in Chile, with a total capacity of 105MW
- Banco BICE: Advise the client in the opening of the credit line for the issuance of the performance guarantees required by Sacyr Chile S.A. to guarantee the obligations derived from the construction contract with Sociedad Concesionaria Américo Vespucio Oriente S.A.; Assist Banco BICE in the drafting and execution of a Loan Agreement with BTG Pactual and Banco Internacional, in which the parties agreed on a collection and/or restitution mechanism pari passu for the issued Performance Obligations
- Sky Solar: Advise in the negotiation of a local syndicated loan with project finance guarantees for USD $35 million
- CarbonFree Technologies: Advise in the negotiation of an international syndicated loan with project finance guarantees for USD $107 million
- Codelco: In the review of its compliance structure and internal control program, as well as the design of a new system
- Finning: Full compliance assessment focus on environmental and H&S risks at LATAM level, including Uruguay, Argentina and Bolivia. Development and implementation of compliance model according to Chilean regulation (Law 20.393), including applicable policies and procedures.
- Prestigious Chilean Think Tank: In the development and implementation of compliance model according to Chilean regulation (Law 20.393), including applicable policies and procedures.
- ELIS: In the development and implementation of compliance model according to Chilean regulation (Law 20.393), including applicable policies and procedures.
- Santillana: Update of compliance policies and procedures according to Chilean regulation (Law 20.393).
- Chile (2003)
- Legal 500 (Corporate and M&A including compliance 2018, Projects and infrastructure 2018, Banking and Finance 2019, Corporate and M&A 2019)
- Best Lawyers (Banking and Finance Law 2020, Corporate Governance & Compliance Practice 2020, Project Finance and Development Practice 2020)
- Latin Lawyer 250 (Banking and Finance 2019 – 2020)
- Latin Lawyer National (Banking and Finance 2019)
- Spanish and English
- Law, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2001
- LL.M, School of Law, University of Pennsylvania, USA, 2009
- Professor of Commercial Law, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2011 to date
- Assistant Professor of Procedural Law, School of Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2007
- Assistant Professor of Litigation, School of Law, Universidad del Desarrollo, 2003-2004.
- Chilean Bar Association
- Speaker in Seminar “Corrupción entre privados y compliance: ¿Cómo prepararse frente a los nuevos escenarios?”, DLA Piper Chile.
- Cambios de Ejecutivos (El Mercurio – March 9, 2020)
- CarbonFree obtiene financiamiento para proyectos solares en Chile (Lex Latin – March 2, 2020)
- Estudios jurídicos designan nuevos socios y mujeres logran mayor presencia (Diario Financiero – February 3, 2020)
- DLA Piper Expands Corporate Practice with Chilean Partner Appointment (Leaders League – January 21, 2020)
- DLA Piper Chile expande prácticas de financiamiento y compliance (Lex Latin – January 15, 2020)
- DLA Piper nombra a nuevo socio (El Mercurio Legal – January 14, 2020)
- DLA Piper Chile designa nuevo socio (Diario Financiero – January 13, 2020)
- Columna de opinión: Compliance corporativo: ¿preocuparse u ocuparse? (Diario Financiero – August 1, 2019)