Mauricio Halpern has concentrate his practice in Corporate Law, with special emphasis in Finance Law, Capital Markets and Compliance matters, advising various high-profile foreign and domestic clients in a wide range of structured transactions, corporate and project financing (e.g. energy and infrastructure) and lending sphere products. As in-house counsel, he heads the IPO process and some debt bond issuances.
Considering his “both sides of the desk” unique knowledge, Mauricio has been co-chairing the Compliance and Risk Management practice of the firm, supporting our clients not only developing and implementing regulatory compliance models and structures, but also producing policies, procedures, fraud report “hot-lines”, risk matrixes and control score-cards, providing them with best practices and high market standards.
Other matters in which he has actively participated, have been in strategic advice to boards of directors and senior management of public and closed corporations, both local and foreign, in addition to collaborating in corporate restructuring processes, dispute resolution and complex negotiation among shareholders.
- Partner, 2020 to date
- Counsel, 2017-2019
- Corporate General Counsel at SMU S.A., Santiago, Chile, 2015-2017
- Executive Legal Manager of Pacific Hydro, Santiago, Chile, 2011-2015
- Senior Associate at Bahamondez, Alvarez & Zegers, Santiago, Chile, 2010-2011
- Foreign Law Clerk at Clifford Chance in Washington D.C., United States, 2009-2010
- Associate at major law chilean firm, 2003-2007
- Itaú Corpbanca, Banco de Crédito del Perú S.A.S y Banco BICE: Advise the clients, as lenders for the loan facility granted to three Atlantica Yield´s entities (Transmisora Baquedano S.A., Transmisora Mejillones S.A. and Palmucho S.A.) for the refinancing of two of the borrower´s debt governed under the laws of New York, for new investments necessary for the proper functioning of the recently acquired electric transmission line located at Vicuña, Chile and other corporate purposes.
- Colegios Federico Froebel S.A.: Counsel to the client as borrower for a loan facility granted by Banco Security for new infrastructure investments of the Las Condes and Chicureo educational establishments of the Deutsche Schule and for the pre-payment and termination of a precedent real estate leasing with Banco de Chile.
- Mirae Asset Daewoo Co.: Advise the Korean bank, lender, and principal agent in charge of the term loan granted to DE Energía SpA for the development, construction, financing, operation and management of 12 photovoltaic power plants in Chile, with a total capacity of 105MW
- Banco BICE: Advise the client in the opening of the credit line for the issuance of the performance guarantees required by Sacyr Chile S.A. to guarantee the obligations derived from the construction contract with Sociedad Concesionaria Américo Vespucio Oriente S.A.; Assist Banco BICE in the drafting and execution of a Loan Agreement with BTG Pactual and Banco Internacional, in which the parties agreed on a collection and/or restitution mechanism pari passu for the issued Performance Obligations
- Sky Solar: Advise in the negotiation of a local syndicated loan with project finance guarantees for USD $35 million
- CarbonFree Technologies: Advise in the negotiation of an international syndicated loan with project finance guarantees for USD $107 million
- Codelco: In the review of its compliance structure and internal control program, as well as the design of a new system
- Finning: Full compliance assessment focus on environmental and H&S risks at LATAM level, including Uruguay, Argentina and Bolivia. Development and implementation of compliance model according to Chilean regulation (Law 20.393), including applicable policies and procedures.
- Prestigious Chilean Think Tank: In the development and implementation of compliance model according to Chilean regulation (Law 20.393), including applicable policies and procedures.
- ELIS: In the development and implementation of compliance model according to Chilean regulation (Law 20.393), including applicable policies and procedures.
- Santillana: Update of compliance policies and procedures according to Chilean regulation (Law 20.393).
- The Legal 500 (Corporate and M&A including compliance, Projects and infrastructure, Banking and Finance, Corporate and M&A)
- Latin Lawyer 250 (Banking and Finance)
- Fulbright Scholarhsip, 2008
- UPENN LawSchool – Dean´sScholarship, 2008
Spanish and English
- Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, 2001
- LL.M, University of Pennsylvania, USA, 2009
- Professor of Commercial Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Law School, 2011 to date
- Assistant Professor of Procedural Law, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Law School, 2007
- Assistant Professor of Litigation, Universidad del Desarrollo, Law School, 2003-2004.
Colegio de Abogados de Chile A.G.
- Panelist Seminar “Corrupción entre privados y compliance: ¿Cómo prepararse frente a los nuevos escenarios?”, DLA Piper Chile, El Golf 50
Diario Financiero – 1 August 2019